Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Zamaane by Northwestern Brown Sugar

Northwestern Brown Sugar's spring 2013 studio album "Zamaane" had the perfect rhythm, voice, and tone to entertain and soothe you. The album creatively formed a mellifluous blend of popular English songs with just the right amount of South Asian zest. A big round of applause to everyone in the group. And, for all you middle children in the BSugs (and elsewhere), happy belated Middle Child's Day, sorry I forgot yesterday. 

The album opened strong with a mix of contemporary and antique in "Des Rangila/Saajan Ji Ghar Aaye". Despite my hatred for the original "Des Rangila" which ironically lacks color in its monotonous, overplayed, monochromatic obnoxiousness, I was pleasantly surprised at Brown Sugar's pitch perfect rendition of the number, which only begs the question Kyun, Jatin Lalit? If a college A capella team can make the song more radiant than you can, then I have nothing to say to you. I was completely revived by " Saajan Ji Ghar Aaye", and kept floating up from there. As for "Halo/Shukran Allah"; can we put a halo Cristina Thomas for her majestic voice, that made it extremely difficult for me to believe she was not Beyonce.

Paradise was probably my only disappointment, lacking any South Asian sound, which is the magic of the group itself. "Bin Tere/Without You" stands to be one of my favorites, with both soloists outdoing themselves in their respective parts. The female take on Usher's Without You proved to be not only powerful but sexy in ways that even Glee was unable to achieve.

The "Lagaan Medley" is a perfect amalgam of the songs in the movie causing my heart to crave some classic Aamir Khan cricketing action. Medhavi Bhasin and Gaurav Kikani lead me to tears of inadequacy with their vocals for "Set Fire to the Rain/ Chand Sifaarish". Silsila Yeh Chaahat Ka deserves its own pradakshina for its amazing remodel of the ageless tune from Devdas. I think I may have just landed on cloud nine when I heard "Afterglow". It was a splendid ending to the album, with a beautiful meaning and an astounding South Asian blend.

Zamaane has changed my views on South Asian fusion A capella, and opened my eyes to a new favorite group of singers. Zorse Taliya!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there,

    My name is Noor Hasan and I'm a member of Brown Sugar/the PR chair for the group. I had no idea that you reviewed our album--thank you so much for your kind words and constructive criticism! Would you be able to email me at noor@u.northwestern.edu? Would love to correspond with you!

    Noor

    ReplyDelete